Happy holidays everyone!!! I can’t believe the end of 2014 is nigh. This has been a seminal year for me and the husband as it signifies our first marital Christmahanakwanzika together! In lieu of buying material things for the holidays (and in general), we have made the conscious decision to shed the clutter in our lives and minds.
But… gifting can be fun. Which brings me to my perfect procrastinator, yet super practical, 5 minute (no joke) gift idea – a gift of great hair. Who would say no to that?
I came across this homemade solution a few months ago when I was desperate for hair products that are organic yet effective. Since I had all the ingredients readily available, I figure, why not?
- 1 Tablespoon of Baking Soda
- 1 Cup of Water
- 1 Part Organic Apple Cider Vinegar (w/ mother)
- 4 Parts Water
- Ketchup / Mustard squeeze bottle or an old shampoo bottle
- Essential oils, if you’d like. Here’s some guidance on properties of essential oils for hair
- Mix No-poo / Conditioner ingredients in their respective bottles. Shake well.
- To use No-poo: Wet hair and scalp thoroughly. Squeeze enough baking soda solution on scalp till you feel scalp is well drenched, massage and let sit for a few minutes. Rinse. Your hair should feel squeaky.
- To use conditioner: Pour vinegar solution onto clean hair, massage and rinse. For extra shine, rinse with cold water (closes hair cuticles)
- Do a happy dance. VOILA. It is THAT SIMPLE
Now you may think this is weird, I did too. I also know that the solution doesn’t foam like commercial products out there, but here’s my “why not” logic:
1. Baking soda is a known cleaning agent. It’s a mild abrasive and attractant (picks up dirt), and it is also alkali, which deodorizes. No brainer! In fact, after you apply the baking soda “shampoo”, you’ll notice that your hair is SQUEAKY CLEAN.
2. Apple cider vinegar has the same acidity as your hair, thereby restoring the alkali environment that the baking soda shampoo created. It also works to naturally de-tangle your hair and binds closely to your hair cuticle. Ooooo, silky AND shiiny hair.
3. It’s works! It’s natural! It’s magic!
I have been using this solution for a few months now and have experimented on my husband (lol), we have both noticed a big difference in the health of our hair. I have received more compliments on how bouncy, voluminous, and shiny my hair is over the past few months than I have in past years (even my hair stylist said so, therefore it must be true)!
This has since been recommended and passed onto many friends and family of ours and we’ve heard some pretty great feedback. Now, this solution shouldn’t be used every day as it is pretty potent, so definitely listen to your scalp and adjust as needed. And try not to get the vinegar in your eyes, it WILL burn.
On that note, HAPPY OWLIDAYS and see you all in 2015!