In Midtown NYC where I work, healthy and delicious lunch options are available, but you really have to do your investigative work. When I don’t have time to walk all the way to Westerly Natural Market, the best kept NY Soup secret, I go to Between the Bread. Their stuff is a bit pricey, but I’ve always been able to find dairy free and healthy food options.
Speaking of soup, did you know that January & February are official soup months?! Holy moly. In honor of that, I had to come up with a couple of hearty yet healthy soup recipes. Crediting BTB for inspiring this easy Broccoli and Potato Soup.
I am so pleased with how hearty and flavorful this recipe turned out! Serve with some toasted crusty bread and enjoy.
Ingredients (4 – 6 servings):
- 2 Small heads of broccoli, trim off stem and use florets for soup
- 3 Medium sized yellow potatoes
- 1 Medium sized onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, roughly sliced
- 1 32oz box of chicken or vegetable stock (or home-made stock)
- 1 tsp salt; 1/2 tsp pepper; 1/4 – 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (to taste, so adjust as needed)
- Heat up 1 – 2 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat in a large stock pot, add chopped onion and sliced garlic. Sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes, stir with onions and garlic to coat with oil. About 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add chicken or vegetable stock to cover potatoes, broccoli, garlic, and onions and bring to boil. Cover and lower to low-medium heat, and let simmer for 20 minutes until potatoes are relatively soft.
- Then, add broccoli and simmer for another 15 – 20 minutes. Cook until tender.
- In batches, use a food processor to roughly blend the ingredients.
Coming up next, Mushroom and Wild Rice soup!! Delish!