First of all, SO SORRY for my laziness over the past 9 months. Rest assured I have been cooking and feeding my now hubby, but wedding planning over the past few months really took a toll. Hopefully, I will get to write about that journey one day, but now that the wedding is over… let’s get cookin again!
After 2 weeks of the summer’s delicious sweet corn and grilled chicken, the law of diminishing returns has set in. To rescue us from the summer food doldrums, I browsed through the list of saved recipes I’d intended to try over the years but ended up collecting cyber dust.
The Crab & Avocado soup (easier than it sounds) is exactly what I needed to maintain my “good wife” status! This DELICIOUS cold summer soup packed with all the goodness from avocados and sweet crab meat served with some sourdough bread is the perfect light summer dinner.
I modified this Epicurious recipe to make it a bit soupier and doubled the amount of crab (hey, why not) so I can serve this as a main. Also, if you don’t already have an immersion blender, get it, it’s da bomb!!
Yields 2 Main Servings
- 1 cup lump crab meat (I used back fin crab meat due to cost)
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 1/2 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 2 avocados
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons crème fraîche
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Mix crabmeat, celery, dried parsley, and lemon zest in a bowl. Cover and chill crab salad.
- Cube and pit avocados; scoop flesh into a large mixing bowl. Add vegetable stock, crème fraîche, lime juice, kosher salt, and 1 1/4 cups water. Purée with immersion blender until smooth. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper; chill.
- Divide soup amongst 2 bowls. Spoon crab salad into center of each bowl.